BRUSSELS SPROUT SALAD
Are you in need of a fabulous salad that can be prepped ahead and simply tossed together at dinner time? This recipe is your solution. Tender Brussels sprout leaves are coated in a sweet and tangy vinaigrette. Spanish macrona almonds add a crunch factor while Manchego cheese shavings add richness.
It's a versatile salad that can be transformed with a touch of seasonal sweetness. Toss in fresh blueberries, sliced apples or cubed pears for a delicious marriage of flavors. My daughter has even up-cycled leftover salad by serving it with a fried egg on top.
Please don't skip this step. After blanching and cooling, toss the brussels sprout leaves in a dishtowel or a salad spinner to remove as much moisture as possible.
Brussels Sprout Salad
1 Tablespoon honey
2 Tablespoons Champagne vinegar
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon whole grain mustard
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
3/4 cup Spanish Marcona almonds, coarsely chopped
1-2 ounces Manchego cheese, shaved into strips with a vegetable peeler
1. In a medium bowl whisk together the honey, vinegar, lemon zest, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper. Add the oil and whisk until emulsified. Cover and chill.
2. To peel the leaves, cut a 1/4-inch off the bottom end of the brussels sprout. Remove as many leaves that can be peeled off. Make another 1/4-inch cut on the bottom end, and remove the remaining leaves. Discard the core.
3. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil.
4. Fill a large bowl with ice and enough water to cover the ice. Set aside.
5. Drop the leaves into the boiling water until they are bright green and barely tender, about 1 minute. Drain the pot immediately and submerge the leaves in the ice water to stop the cooking. Remove the leaves when completely cooled, 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a dishtowel or salad spinner to remove as much water as possible.
5. Place the dried Brussels sprout leaves in a serving bowl with the almonds and vinaigrette. Toss until well coated. Add the cheese shavings and gently toss. Serve chilled.
Do ahead: The vinaigrette can be made 1 week ahead. Refrigerate in an airtight container.
The Brussels sprout leaves can be removed, blanched, cooled and dried 1 day ahead. Wrap in paper towels, place in a releasable storage bag and store in the refrigerator.