Oven Baked Egg Cups with Parmesan Crostini
There’s almost nothing more gratifying than a long brunch with family and friends. Baked egg cups that are layered with sautéed vegetables and accompanied by flavorful crostini are a lovely treat for brunch. Baking this dish in individual portions makes everyone feel special. Prep the vegetables a day ahead allowing you easy assembly, and more time to spend with your loved ones. Individual jars are great for a brunch buffet, but simply layer the ingredients into an oven-safe dish for a family style meal. Breakfast for dinner? It’s as easy as adding a leafy green salad, and this recipe can double as dinner.
Oven Baked Egg Cups
3 Tablespoons olive oil
8 cups onions, sliced
3 cups zucchini, sliced
1 ½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra for seasoning eggs
½ teaspoon black pepper, plus extra for seasoning eggs
2 dry pints cherry tomatoes, cut in half
2 cups green onions, chopped
eight 8-ounce jars
non-stick cooking spray
8 jumbo eggs
1.Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened, 10-12 minutes.
3. Add zucchini, thyme, salt, pepper. Stir and cook until zucchini begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook until zucchini is tender and tomatoes are wilted, about 5 minutes.
4. Spray jars with non-stick spray. Divide vegetables among jars, and gently press down with a spoon. Crack an egg into each jar and season with salt and pepper.
5. Transfer jars to a 9x13-inch baking pan. Fill pan with water about 1-inch up the sides of jars. Bake in preheated oven until whites are set and yolks are still runny, 15-20 minutes. Serve with Parmesan crostini.
Do Ahead: vegetable mixture can be cooked 1 day a head. Let cool, cover and refrigerate.
Servings: 16-20 crostini
1 baguette, ¼-inch slices
3 Tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon parsley, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Lightly brush each side of bread with olive oil and arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper and bake until the slices are golden brown, 8-12 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, combine cheese and parsley. When the crostini are cool enough to handle, 2-3 minutes, dust each slice with the parmesan mixture and place on a cooling rack.