With the fall weather upon us, it’s the perfect time for baking for family and friends. Chocoflan cake is always a favorite at my fall gatherings—or whenever you please. This cake is a moist chocolate cake topped with a creamy custard. It is also known as amazing cake because of what occurs during the baking process. The pan is first filled with cake batter and the custard-like flan is poured on top. During the baking process the cake rises to the top with the flan settling on the bottom. When inverted the flan will rest on the chocolate cake layer creating the perfect base for a generous drizzle of cajeta or caramel sauce.
1 cup sugar
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 ¾ cup cake flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup milk
14 ounces condensed milk
5 ounces evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Cajeta, a goat’s milk caramel or Caramel sauce for serving
Special equipment: Bundt pan and 9x13 pan for water bath
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a Bundt pan with nonstick spray.
2. Prepare the cake in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer on medium high speed, beat sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder. Add to the butter mixture in three additions, alternating with milk, and mix on medium speed until combined. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared Bundt pan.
4. Prepare the flan in a blender. Blend the condensed milk, evaporated milk, eggs and vanilla on high speed until combined, 20-30 seconds. Slowly pour over the batter and place the Bundt pan in the 9x13 pan. Fill the 9x13 pan with about 1 inch of water and bake until a tester inserted in the cake comes out clean, 50-60 minutes.
5. Remove Bundt pan from water bath and set on a wire rack to cool for at least 1 ½ hours.
6. Run a knife blade along the edges of the cake to release. Gently jiggle the Bundt pan to loosen the flan. Place a serving platter over the Bundt pan and invert the cake. Store in refrigerator. Serve chilled or room temperature with cajeta or caramel sauce.
Do Ahead: The Chocoflan cake can be baked 1 day ahead, and refrigerated until ready to serve.