How is it that two simple ingredients, chocolate and cream, can create such a rich truffle base? Ganache, the truffle base, is the luxurious interior that is so addictive. Truffles can simply be dusted with cocoa or rolled in the coating of your choice. I enjoy finely chopped pecans or almonds as a coating. I also enjoy the coated truffles as a topping on cupcakes and cakes. Take a peek at my Chocolate Truffle Cake. If you like the taste of coffee be sure to try my mocha truffles. Be sure to share your tasty creations with me on Instagram @y_delicacies. I'd love to see your version!
Servings: 5 dozen truffles
10 ounces chocolate(62% cacao), finely chopped
1 ¼ cup heavy cream
Assorted coatings such as: unsweetened cacao powder, cacao nibs, toasted coconut, finely chopped pecans, finely chopped roasted and salted pepitas, crushed toffee, dried chili mango.
1. Place chocolate in a medium bowl. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment or wax paper. Pour toppings into shallow dishes.
2. In a small sauce pan on medium heat, simmer cream until bubbles form around the edges of the pan. Remove from heat and pour over chocolate. Let sit until chocolate is melted, 3 minutes.
3. Stir well until combined and glossy. Pour into an 8x8 baking pan or a pie dish. Refrigerate until firm enough to scoop, 3 hours.
4. Using a small spring release scoop or a spoon, scoop out a teaspoon of ganache. Drop onto a lined baking sheet and repeat with remaining ganache.
5. Form chocolate into balls with the palm of your hands, and roll truffles in your choice of coatings. If ganache becomes too soft to form, refrigerate until firm enough to handle.
6. Place coated truffles on the second lined baking sheet and refrigerate until firm. Transfer to an airtight container, placing wax paper or parchment between layers, and store in the refrigerator. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour before serving.
Do Ahead: Ganache can be made 3 days ahead; keep covered and refrigerated. Truffles can be made 1 week ahead; store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.